Our Miniature Donkeys have free access to pasture year round. We keep our pastures free of weeds.
We worm our Miniature Donkeys every eight weeks rotating ivermectin and pryantel pamoate.
We vaccinate annually in the spring for Easter/Western Encephalomyelitis, Tetanus, Rhinopneaumonitis, and Influenza. We use Fluvac Innovator 5.
We are fortunate to have a great farrier, Mark McCann. Mark visits our farm every eight weeks and checks each donkey.
We advise against 3-sided shelters as we feel they don't provide the proper protection from the weather and flies. We have wood stalls with rubber mats and use wood shavings year round. Scott installed automatic ceiling fans which keep it cool and comfortable on hot summer days. All stalls are cleaned daily.
We keep a record of our Miniature Donkeys health care. It not only helps us to assure we are meeting our donkey's needs, but we have also found it to be much appreciated my new owners.
Mineral supplements we provide and their purpose...
- Calcium (Ca) is important in bone development and maintenance.
- Phosphorus (P) is also important in bone formation and maintenance.
- Magnesium (Mg) is important in skeletal development, muscles, and nervous tissue.
- Potassium (K) is important in maintaining adequate cellular pH. A potassium deficiency can result in a decreased appetite, weight loss, and fatigue.
- Iron (Fe) is important as a part of blood hemoglobin
- Copper (Cu) is important in bone and cartilage development and iron utilization.
- Zinc (Zn) is important in bone development, healthy hooves and coat, and reproduction.
- Cobalt (Co) is important for the synthesis of vitamin B12
- Iodine (I) is important in the production of the hormone thyroxine.
- Selenium(Se) is important to reproduction, growth, healthy muscle, cell and tissue development, and the immune system.
- Vitamin A is important in vision, reproduction, digestion and respiration.
- Vitamin D-3 controls the absorption, transport and deposition of calcium and phosphorus.
- Vitamin E is an anti-oxidant and maintains healthy cells.
Scott and Theresa Ellinger
The Red Gate Registered Miniature Donkeys Copyright 2016
Show - Breeding - Performance - Companions
740-625-9092 | email: email@example.com
Experience with exporting to England & France
Miniature Donkey Care
We believe keeping a small group of Miniature Donkeys allows for better care and more time and attention for each donkey. We take pride in presenting a well managed farm with alert, healthy, happy donkeys. We provide our Miniature Donkeys with quality hay, nutritional supplements, daily attention, experienced farrier care, routine worming, and annual vaccines.
It has been our experience that Miniature Donkeys do best with a good quality 1st cutting orchard grass mix. We have always baled our own hay on the farm.
We provide our Miniature Donkeys free access to salt with selenium and a mixed mineral (we prefer loose salt and mixed minerals over blocks so they don't have to grind their teeth on the block). We also provide grain to foals, weanlings, show donkeys, and nursing jennets.